Sunday, February 19, 2012

#17: Know what a game or activity involves before volunteering.



Life Lesson 17: Know what a game involves before volunteering. 


Like many, this one is based on true events, true people, and happened at Camp Robinson. 


During a service at Junior Camp of 2009 Pastor Brandon Goff needed a volunteer for an illustration during his sermon, and so a friend of ours, Ryan Green, came up to help him. Ryan had no idea what was ahead of him or what was about to happen. Brandon was preaching about having baggage and things that hold us back. When Ryan got up front, Brandon gave him two grocery bags full of potatoes. Ryan was asked to do activities such as push ups, punches, jumping jacks, etc. while having the bags of potatoes on his wrists the entire time. After doing said activities Ryan was asked if it was more difficult to do it with or without the bags of potatoes around his wrists. He of course said it was easier without them. 


When Ryan went up front to help, he had no idea what he was about to do. All he knew was that he was volunteering to help. I'm sure if he knew what he would've had to do, he probably would have thought twice about going up there. 


Another quick story. One time we were doing a fear factor thing at church. We had to make bets on how much of something we would eat/drink. I ended up winning at 16, not knowing what I would have to eat/drink. When I got up there I found out that I just volunteered to eat 16 habanero peppers. That was not exactly a great experience. My pulse went crazy, and I stayed up most of the night. You don't want to try that. I probably won't try it again and probably wouldn't have done it if I knew what was in store.


I could go on and on giving stories and examples, but I'm sure you get the point. This happens to us a lot of times in life. We will volunteer to help at events or to help people with things and then when we start working and helping we find ourselves complaining or not happy with what we volunteered to do. 


Whatever it is in life, always remember: Know what a game or activity involves before volunteering. 









No comments:

Post a Comment